10 Delicious Grocery Store Wine and Cheese Pairings
What's not to love about wine and cheese? Both indulgent and ever-changing, wine and cheese is a preferred and enjoyable pre-meal activity for people of all classes, races, religions, and ethnicities. All over the world you will find various kinds of cheese and wines being produced, and with modern-day importing and exporting, we are lucky to have our pick of many right here in the United States. That's not to say that local local North American wines and cheeses are not worth the choosing. We are also benefited by local wineries and cheese farms that grace us with their passion for quality craftsmanship and value.
But you do not have to be an enthusiast or connoisseur to create your own wine and cheese pairings at home. Your local grocery store right around the corner is all you need to build the perfect charcuterie tray for your next night in. There are several quick and easy wine and cheese combinations you can go with to ensure you are coupling the right flavors and aromas for the perfect pairing experience. Below are ten examples of grocery store picks you can find at your local Kroger, Trader Joes, or Fresh Market locations.
When choosing a red wine, be sure to store it at 60 degrees Fahrenheit to allow the flavor to fully develop. And remove cheese trays from the refrigerator 30 to 40 minutes before serving to allow the cheeses to soften. Below are some easy red pairings to consider.
- SIMI Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 – $ 20
- Presidente Soft-Ripened Brie Cheese – $ 6
- Beringer Merlot Founders' Estate 2010 – $ 16
- Tillamook Medium Sharp Cheddar Cheese – $ 5
- Francis Coppola Pinot Noir 2014 – $ 16
- Red Apple Smoked Gruyere Cheese – $ 8
- Castello Di Gabbiano Chianti 2014 – $ 11
- Galbani Mozzarella Fresca Marinated – $ 6
When choosing a white wine, be sure to store and serve at 45 degrees Fahrenheit for that perfect flavorful finish. And remember to remove the cheeses from the refrigerator prior to guests arriving. This will ensure every bite is gentle and pleasant. Below are some easy white pairings to consider.
- Cupcake Vineyards Chardonnay 2014 – $ 8
- Dofino Creamy Havarti – $ 6
- Barefoot White Zinfandel 2014 – $ 13
- Boar's Head Muenster Cheese – $ 4
- Schmitt Sohne Riesling – $ 14
- Castello Blue Cheese – $ 9
- Yellow Tail Sauvignon Blanc 2014 – $ 15
- Montchevre Chevre Goat Cheese – & 5
- Chateau Ste Michelle Pinot Gris – $ 10
- Private Selection Van Gogh Gouda Cheese – $ 7