Bombay Chewy Halwa – Indian Sweets
The ingredients for Bombay chewy Halwa are:
1. 1 cup of fine semolina
2. sugar as required in recipe
3. ghee 1 to 1 1/2 cups, as required in recipe
4. 1/5 table spoon of citric acid, powdered
5. 1/2 cup of blanched peeled almonds, halved
6. 1/4 cup of green pistachios, halved
7. 1/2 table spoon of cardamom powder
8. saffron as desired
9. food color red / green / yellow, as desired
The method to cook Bombay chewy halwa,
1. First Soak semolina in enough water for 3 hours.
2. Then Drain, rub gently between fingers, wash 3 times with fresh water.
3. Keep aside to settle again, discard top water, grind to a very smooth paste.
4. Then Add enough water, to make a thin batter.
5. Heat one cup ghee in a large heavy pan, allow to cool.
6. Add batter, stir well, till smooth.
7. Place on heat, cook the batter while stirring continuously, add the ghee little by little.
8. Cook to form a transparent, soft lump.
9. Then Add sugar, stir again, till it is liquefied, and again a soft lump forms.
10. When ghee starts separating, take off fire, sprinkle citric acid.
11. Stir well, mix in toppings and set in a, rectangular, greased, tray.
12. Make incisions when cooled but still soft.
13. When completely cooled, separate pieces, wrap each in clean thin pieces of polythene or cling film.
14. Serve it.
15. Store in air tight container.
Making time: 1 hour approx.
Makes: 1 kg. approx.
The shelf life of this sweet, at room temperature it will last for 1 week. If it is refrigerated, the shelf life will be 3-4 weeks approx. Serve it and enjoy this delicious treat.