Best Orange Chicken Recipe
A sauce prepared with orange juice and orange zest gives this chicken dish that special tang. A great idea to enhance your everyday chicken recipe. If you would like to try something new and different, just prepare this recipe.
2 pounds boneless chicken pieces, skinned
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
Oil (for frying)
1/2 cup cornstarch (plus 1 tablespoon)
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon minced ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
dash crushed hot red chiles
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon rice wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons minced orange zest
Juice from 1 large orange
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chicken stock
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1) Prepare the orange sauce by combining all ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
2) Cut chicken pieces in 2 "squares and place in large bowl. Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well. Stir cornstarch and flour together. Add chicken pieces, stirring to coat.
3) Heat oil for deep-frying in wok or deep-fryer to 375. Add chicken pieces, a small batch at time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and crisp (do not overcook or chicken will be tough.) Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
4) Clean wok and heat 15 seconds over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry until fragrant. Add and stir-fry crushed chiles and green onions. Add rice wine and stir 3 seconds. Add orange sauce and bring to boil. Add cooked chicken, stirring until well mixed.
5) Stir water into remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth. Add to chicken and heat until sauce is thick. Stir in 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Serve with rice.