Pinoy Food – Chicken Adobo – Filipino Recipes
Chicken adobo is one of the several varieties of adobo recipes. It is a very good option for someone who loves to eat chicken. The potatoes in this recipe can be substituted with hard boiled quail or chicken eggs. The eggs will be able to absorb the flavor of the adobo by adding them just a few minutes before cooking is done. This is a recipe that can be served both during ordinary days and special occasions.
- 1 kilo dressed chicken (cut into serving slices)
- 3 medium-sized potatoes, quartered (optional)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 head of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/8 cup vinegar
1. In a large pan, place the chicken slices. Pour the vinegar and add the peppercorns, garlic and bay leaf.
2. Cook over medium-high heat until the vinegar comes to a boil. Turn over the chicken pieces.
3. Leave uncovered while cooking. Wait until all the vinegar has been absorbed.
4. Adjust heat to medium when the chicken is quite dry. Stir until chicken fat starts to come out.
5. Set heat back to medium-high then fry until the chicken turns golden brown.
6. Take out the excess oil then add the potatoes and soy sauce. Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
7. Every time in a while, check the liquid. If the chicken seems dried up before fully cooked, you can add about ¼ cup f water. At the end of the cooking time, your chicken adobo should be quite dry.
8. Serve with plain rice.